Tools application from Gene Link, Inc.for iPhone/iPod/iPad is geared
towards life scientists, including college and graduate students for
laboratory bench calculations and a quick short course in molecular
genetics. Topics included are all related to nucleic acids research
with an emphasis on utilizing properties that increase specific
predetermined properties e.g duplex stability. The Tools app also
has advanced modules for setup of Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) and
Quantitative Real Time PCR (Q-PCR).
The main focus of this app
is to have a handy source of calculation modules and quick reference
sections for designing and executing experiments involving PCR and
Q-PCR. These techniques are routinely used in a molecular genetics
laboratory for all type of research involving DNA. These vary from
simple DNA amplification and confirmation to complex allele and
genotyping for diagnostics. The Tools application has sections to
encourage users to design primer and probes using modified bases as
substitutes for the natural four bases to enable specificity and
increase nuclease resistance.
The application is divided into
two sections; the Tools sections are an assortment of convenient
calculators for the life scientist and the Reference section is for
basic genetic information.
1. Oligo Tm: A
robust oligo melting temperature calculation module using three
methods; it also calculates other physical attributes.
2. Oligo Resuspension
5. Oligo Dilution
PCR & QPCR: Convenient calculator for multiple reaction setup for
PCR, TaqMan QPCR and Molecular Beacon QPCR setup. Includes stock
solution information and cycling profiles
7. Molarity Calculator
8. Reagent Dilution
9. Measurement Convertor: A convenient selection of calculators to convert length, area, mass, temperature and volume units.
10. Genetic Code Translator: Enter DNA sequence to see coding pattern.
selection of topics, relevant to life scientists for quick access to
basic information. This section includes the following sections and sub
1. Nucleic Acid Basics
2. Modifications Table: A list of common modifications with molecular structure and basic properties.
3. Dye & Quencher Table: A convenient list of fluorophores and quencher matching the emission max.
4. Duplex Stability & Nuclease Resistance
-Applications & Recommended Modifications:
• Antisense Gene Target
• siRNA-RNA Interference
• PCR Primers
• QPCR Probes
• SNP Genotyping & Allelic Discrimination
• Fluorescent in situ Hybridization Probes (FISH)
5. Gene Information: Simply enter the accession number and retrieve detailed gene information from NCBI database,
6. Amino Acid Table: Molecular structure and detailed physical properties of all amino acids.
7. Translation Table: Genetic code for all amino acids.
8. Codon Picker: Select codon sequence and see the corresponding amino acid and detailed information.